Wednesday, March 25, 2009

News, press, and other things noteworthy


So far, things are going well. "airplanes" has been received well, by the few but noteworthy people that have actually received a copy.

As an independent artist with no help from a label, and no resources to pay a publicist or radio promoter, this is going to be a very slow build. I learned to fly in a Piper Cub, that had no engine starter. You have to "prop" the motor by hand to start it. When there is no head-wind, it cruises at 82mph. I once flew cross-country from Denton, TX to Oshkosh, WI and landed at that famous air-show without a radio. I was not only handicap in communication in heavy air traffic, but as you can imagine, it took a while to get there. I think that a long journey in a Piper Cub makes a good analogy for this record "release". It may take a while, but it will get there eventually.

Prince Charles told me never to drop names, but...the coolest thing to happen so far is that Jackson Browne bought a CD. I was playing with Allison Moorer, opening up for Steve Earle. Sweet Allison was kind enough to let me sell my records at the show and look who showed up and bought one! I about had a heart attack when Jackson saw me in the hall and told me so. I think I said something dumb like, "thanks for the support". I hate meeting my heros. I never know what to say.

"airplanes" is available on itunes, Amazon, etc, and CDBaby. The record for all intensive purposes is not officially released. I haven't even had a CD release party. I am saving money and shopping the record around, and eventually, there will be a campaign to officially get this little record out into the world. I am very pleased with how it came out and worked very hard on every detail. I hope you like it too. I'm sure everyone will catch on in a year or two and suddenly I'll be the next big thing like Bon Iver;)

The packaging is still being made by hand, by yours truely. They are all numbered and signed. I have sold about 600 copies and have made 800. I don't expect to be making these by hand for much longer, so get your collector's copy while you can at CDBaby.com.

There is a video in the works for "just friends" and it is being edited as we speek! The video is directed by Pamela Romanowsky and Aaron Lee Tasjan and Leslie Mendelson, and my old buddy Ishaq Clayton make appearances.

I was also featured on KPFT's Sugar Hill Sessions. Chris Masterson (of Son Volt) and Falcon Valdez joined me for a live set and interview. There was a technical snag, so it did not air in February. You can listen to it live on March 27th at 2pm CST, www.kpft.org during the KPFT Radioactive segment.

"airplanes" has a few great reviews. Here's the links to some of them:



Houston Press: http://www.houstonpress.com/2..008-12-18/music/chris-masterso..n-amp-eleanor-whitmore/
Blog Critics Magazine: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2009/01/29/082150.php
New Haven Register: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/01/30/entertainment/doc4982a78d91083398498383.txt
Buddy Magazine: (not online)
Pop Matters: coming soon....!

Quotes:
"Eleanor
Whitmore's 'Airplanes' is a perfect example of what happens when
attention to pinpoint detail in production and exquisite
instrumentation accompanies a well conceived collection of songs; a
highly impressive debut album. --
Jay Sweet, Sweet Talk

"Eleanor
Whitmore's, 'Airplanes; brings a brand of folk-pop that melds Aimee
Mann and the Beatles in a tuneful, distinctive way." --Jim Caligiuri,
Austin Chronicle


"Jackson Brown bought Eleanor's CD. You should too." --Allison Moorer

No comments:

Post a Comment